Blog Archive

Tuesday, March 30, 2010

A Week of Firsts

This week has been a week of firsts..some good, some bad and some just here.  My son has been crawling now for about a month.  While he was sick however, he didn't really care to move around a whole lot and lulled me into a false sense of security.  The first first is first blood.  My son has decided not only is crawling fun, but if I stand up I can reach more stuff to pull on my head or put in my mouth.  During his first attempt at standing he missed with one hand hold and plowed his face into the corner of my dining room chair.  He had the tiniest of cuts on his gum which proceeded to bleed like a fountain.  He decided he did not want to show me said cut and promptly sealed his mouth.  The purple bruise coming up on his forehead lead me to believe he had hit solidly and I could see blood.  I had to hold him down to pry his little mouth open so I could assess the damage.  As I prayed we were not going to have our first set of stitches at age 9 months, (my daughter waited until she was 7) I finally got a look at the very small scratch on his gum that was letting the blood spew.  Relief at last, no ER visit, teeth were in place, and the bruise has since faded to unnoticeable. 

Next first, he actually succeeded in pulling himself up to standing.  He now does it on anything that doesn't move when he grabs onto it.  We had a family meeting to put our new safety height at 3 feet.  Nothing dangerous below that altitude allowed at our home.

Our third first for my little man is solid food.  He ate his first cracker/cookie thing.  He loves them and actually chews really well.  He is learning to feed himself small cereal puffs and really wants control of that spoon.  He is so strong.  At least so far we have avoided choking.  It takes an eagle eye since he thinks sticking the food in his mouth is much funner than chewing it and swallowing it.  I had to dig a couple pieces out to avoid a traffic jam in the throat.

I had my first fill in as coach experience for my daughter's soccer game.  The coach, assistant coach, and fill in for the assistant coach were all out of town and we had no coach when we got to the field.  As the players wandered aimlessly and parents gazed around for someone to lead, I stepped up.  We did fine, but parents at these things stink.  I stepped forward so our kids could play, I didn't sign up for this, but volunteered to take on something that no one wanted to do, but no one was short of advice or complaints when they weren't in the drivers seat.  It was ridiculous.  There were some parents who thanked me profusely because their child got to play and I was fair about it and they wouldn't have wanted to be in my spot, but I was amazed at those who thought they should backseat drive.



I also found the courage to leave my baby at home with Daddy so I could go to the gym.  I have been very uneasy about this because I am breast feeding and baby won't take a bottle.  He is finally eating enough solid food and drinking out of a sippy cup so I thought that I could take an hour.  It was hard for me, but very rewarding to have some alone time and get back in the gym. Daddy handled everything perfectly and everyone was safe and happy when I returned home.

That is all the first for this week.  I am sure there will be more coming soon.  I have some great art projects coming up with my daughter and company tomorrow so I will probably pull out a new recipe.  I'll let you know.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Have an opinion? Feel free to enter it here.