Blog Archive

Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Helping the community!!

I know I am a couple days late for my weekly post...okay a week late.  I have been so busy lately.  My kids have me hopping everyday it seems.  I also helped with a big project at my church this week.  It has been very exciting for me.  My grandma who passed in 1990 had a vegetable garden for as long as I can remember. She grew dill, carrots, cucumbers, zuchini, and more.  I remember so well visiting her garden, and then eating the food when she canned it for us.  Those are probably my best memories of my grandma Burt.  My family didn't pick up the garden fever or the canning fever when I was young, but I have always thought I was missing out on something there.  Then came a blessing in disguise.  It was disguised as my mother-in-law. She is a serious gardener, all organic and huge garden at her house.  We got to talking and I decided I wanted to garden too.  We tilled up a small plot in my little yard here and I started my garden. I grow tomatoes, broccoli, lettuce, cucumbers, beans, watermelons, and peppers.  I have enjoyed myself so much, and she also cans.  We take our delicious veggies and can them for the whole year. My mom even found my grandma Burt's dill pickle recipe and for the first time in 20 years, I had my grandma's pickles again. It brought tears to my eyes.  I shared with the whole family..I know she would have been proud.
This year my mother-in-law and I have decided to take it up a notch and really share our love with everyone around us.  Our church had a large lot behind it that was going unused.  Good Shepherd Lutheran Church graciously helped us plow the land and make a community garden.  This isn't just a garden for the community to enjoy, it is split into plots that the community can sign up to plant.  There are almost thirty plots now, and room for many more if needed.  We came together as a church to give everyone the chance to have a garden.  We have already had four people claim plots to grow in.  The church youth are also going to man a plot to donate the food to the local food bank.  We have a thieves plot if someone needs to steal a bite as well. We are so excited about this project.  We really hope the community gets involved.  If you live in the Lewiston Idaho area you should definitely come by and get a plot.  "Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day. Teach a man to fish and he will eat for a lifetime.”

No comments:

Post a Comment

Have an opinion? Feel free to enter it here.